Thursday, April 16, 2009

Surround Me With Comfort

Comfort is something that you can’t see but have to feel. Being able to portray this feeling has been challenging for me in many steps along the way to this final project. Somehow I’ve managed to make a book ‘comfortable.’ It’s equally surprising to me that I have created comfortable audio and video as well. I especially enjoyed the physical crafting portion of the course. This has lead me to decide on creating a new take on an artists book for this piece. Letting the viewer feel the fabrics which I choose in creating the piece adds another dimension to my art that I would like to continue to explore. There is some sort of excitement in being able to touch art that is usually off limits.

            The idea that is most suiting for me to execute for this project is the fabric patchwork ‘open book.’ The form this artist book will take on is a soft onesie outfit for my son. The physical feel of comfort of the piece will directly portray the feelings that our son gives Seth and I.

             The imagery I am going to include are vivid and warm photographs. My intent is to create a natural and happy feeling from this imagery that would portray  the comfortable environment that Seth and I will bring our son up in. Also, these photos will represent the ways of life we will instill in our son such as: live hard, love deep and regret nothing.       

             Based upon my new knowledge of sewing with a machine, I believe it’s more plausible to redesign my ideal project and make it less complex. It is, of course, possible to execute my original idea, but it would take a person with a lot more experience a lot more time than I am or have. I will still use the sewing machine to sew my large fabric parts to make a whole garment. But I will have to compromise using the machine to apply all of the patchwork. Some things I will attach using the machine, but I will have to use fabric glue to attach some of my smaller desired patchwork pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment