Thursday, April 9, 2009

Three Proposals for Final Project

The one word that sums up my source is comfort. All of the different versions and interpretations of my source come back to the root of how the different aspects make me feel. The two aspects which relate to me through my source are my fiancĂ©, Seth, and my son, Dodge. I have explored how I am driven by emotion to do work and to do it well. I have described visually and intellectually, also by sound and by touch. These different dimensions of thinking and understanding my source have lead me to think more creatively about what’s under the surface of the things around me or the feelings within me.

            My final project will relate my feelings further. I will create a new interpretation of an artists book. My book will include a sequence of photographs to portray a certain aspect of my source and how it relates to its form.

The first form the book could take on is a quilt. I want it to be large-scale for a few reasons. The scale will show the whirlwind of activity that my life has undergone since Seth and I met as well as the ‘large scale’ feelings that I have for he and our son. The quilt will hang from the ceiling. This format will force the viewer to look at all of the parts of the open book with equal attention while simultaneously making them feel small. The sequence of photographs will be separated into sections. The top left will be made up of photos that reference my life before Seth. The top right will represent Seth before me. The center section will have photos representing the point in my life where Seth and I met. I will include photographs and drawings from the beginning of our history in chronological order all the way to the present. The bottom section will include imagery representing Seth and I with the addition of Dodge in our lives.

 This format will take the viewer through my experiences upon close observation of the quilt. The fabrics at the top will be everyday street clothing fabric and other materials of that nature. They will be durable and not very exciting. At the bottom I will use soft and fluffy fabrics to represent the arrival of the baby. The fabrics that entail his clothing and teddies and blankets are usually pastel colors or saturated colors so these would be more visually active. This will change the feel of the quilt towards the bottom to portray the active lifestyle that has risen with the addition of the baby.  

            The second form the book could take on is an outfit for my son. I would create another type of ‘open book’ that has a set form that doesn’t change. The pages would create a patchwork of fabric that would make up the whole outfit. Some of the pieces of fabric would contain images of myself and Seth and aspects that relate to us. These images would portray how Seth and I will eventually make up what Dodge will become when he’s grown. The clothing would represent Seth and I in that we bring comfort Dodge in many ways.

            The third form the book could take would be another fabric book, or series of three fabric books with pages that actually unfold. In this version I would separate three sections into parts that would represent Seth, myself, then Dodge (or three books each representing one of us). The separate sections would represent each of us as an individual and how we are unified as a whole. If I create one book, the unity will be obvious as the three aspects would be physically connected. If I create three separate books, I would house them together in the same place. To imply our unity.

            The single fabric book would be similar to the artists book I created earlier in the semester. It will unfold in a similar fashion but in a different way. Instead of unfolding in two directions it would unfold in three to represent all three of us (myself, Seth, and Dodge).  

No comments:

Post a Comment